Tel: 01789 267520

Maximising Your Income

13 February 2017

Having SMA, or having a child with SMA, can have financial implications so it is important to maximise your income as much as possible. This can be done by ensuring you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to, by shopping around for goods and services, and by being aware of other sources of funding that you might be able to apply to. The following organisations may be able to help you with this:

Contact a Family - provide information and support to families who have a child with a disability, including information on benefits and grants. They have a leaflet called 'Money Matters' which covers benefits, help at school and at home, help with bills, transport and grants and loans. Contact a Family also have a helpline: 0808 808 3555 and a website: 

Disability Rights UK - provide information and advice including an interactive factsheet on ‘What You Can Claim’.

Turn2us - assist people with accessing money available to them through welfare benefits, grants and other help: The Turn2us website has been designed to help you find appropriate sources of financial support quickly and easily, based on your particular needs and circumstances. The benefits checker and grants search tool can be found at:

Local councils - can provide help with things such as: short break services; holiday play schemes; care at home; some aids and adaptations; financial help (e.g. money towards travel costs for hospital visits). For disabled children they have a duty to provide these services under the Children Act 1989. Some services are free of charge and others may require a contribution. For more information you can contact your local social services team. A social worker will then carry out a ‘needs assessment’ which will look at needs including health, social care, and education.

The Money Advice Service - provide free and impartial money advice. Set up by the Government, the website has information on care and disability as well as finances generally, including debt, pensions, insurance, cars and savings. It also has an online budget planner:

You can also find more information about help for disabled children at: and for disabled adults:

If you would like to speak to a member of SMA Support UK’s support services team you can phone 01789 267 520 or email: